Obesity: New Directions in Assessment and Management
Edited by Theodore Van Itallie, MD and Artemis Simopoulos, MD
We know more about obesity today than ever before, yet ironically, little progress has been made in preventing or treating this disorder. This book brings together an impressive group of 33 high-caliber professionals who are leaders in the field of obesity to cover a variety of topics and perspectives. It provides a state-of-the-art view of the current management and treatment of obesity; offers an in-depth analysis of the adverse effects of obesity on health, longevity and state of mind; and describes the newest and most effective methods of dealing with the pathogenesis of this widespread disorder.
Foreword by Albert J. Stunkard, MD
1. Body Weight and Mortality — Caren G. Solomon, MD, et al.
2. Body Weight Reference Standards — Artemis Simopoulos, MD
3. The Role of Adiposity in the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease — Robert J. Garrison, MS
4. Assessing Impact of Weight on Quality of Life — Ronette L. Kolotkin, PhD, et al.
5. Hormonal Abnormalities in Obesity: Cause or Effect? — Barnett Zumoff, MD
6. Sleep Disorders Associated with Obesity — Gary K. Zammit, PhD
7. Abnormal Arachidonic Acid Metabolism in Obesity — Stephen D. Phinney, MD, PhD
8. Obesity and the Endocrine System — Walter Futterweit, MD
9. Methodological Issues in Obesity Research: Examples from Biometrical Genetics — David Allison, PhD
10. Therapeutic Weight Loss: A Serious Need for Guiding Principles — Theodore B. Van Itallie, MD
11. Rational Nutrition Component of Comprehensive Weight Management — Jane M. Rees, MS, RD
12. Food Control Training as a Successor to Dieting — Stephen Gullo, PhD
13. The Stages and Processes of Weight Control — John C. Norcross, PhD, et al.
14. Compulsive Eating: Applying a Medical Addiction Model — Ellen S. Parham, PhD, RD
15. An Interdisciplinary Approach in a Nutrition Medicine Clinic — George L. Blackburn, MD, PhD, et al.
16. Weight Management Activities Among Black Women — Janet D. Allen, PhD, RNC.
17. Phenylpropanolamine in the Management of Moderate Obesity — David E. Schteingart, MD
18. Dexfenfluramine for the Long-Term Management of Obesity — Stanley Heshka, PhD
19. Individualizing Pharmacologic Therapy for Weight Reduction — David J. Goldstein, MD, PhD, et al.
20. Evolutionary Aspects of Diet — Artemis Simopoulos, MD
Hardcover. 294 pages. ISBN-10: 0-914783-74-2 ISBN-13: 978-0-914783-74-9. List Price: $42.95