Aspartame (NutraSweet): Is it Safe?
Hyman J. Roberts, MD
Just how safe is the artificial sweetener aspartame (more commonly known as NutraSweet and Equal), currently used in some thousands of products and consumed by hundreds of millions of people? You may be surprised to learn that a number of medical problems are likely to be adverse reactions to products containing aspartame.
Author H.J. Roberts, MD, a board-certified internist with impressive credentials, first became suspicious of aspartame when he encountered an increasing number of patients with a wide variety of symptoms, such as headaches, mood swings, memory loss, dizziness, depression, insomnia, diarrhea and anxiety, among others. Based on hundreds of case studies, Roberts concluded that these unexplained symptoms were actually reactions to products containing aspartame.
The book not only looks at the clinical picture of aspartame, but also describes how it received FDA approval without undergoing testing in humans, and how the United States Senate allowed this well-financed chemical additive to sail through the official government channels.
1. The Aspartame Boom
2. How I Became Involved in the Aspartame Issue
3. Aspartame Consumption
4. Aspartame Metabolism
5. Excessive Intake of Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid
6. Methyl Alcohol
7. A Clinical Overview
8. General Aspects of Aspartame Reactions
9. Convulsions (Epilepsy)
11. Confusion and Memory Loss; Intellectual Deterioration
12. Other Neurologic Reactions
13. Psychiatric and Behavioral Reactions
14. Eye Complaints
15. Ear Complaints
16. Excessive Weight Loss: Anorexia and Bulimia
17. Paradoxical Weight Gain
18. Allergic Reactions
19. Gastrointestinal Problems
20. Heart and Chest Problems
21. Other Reactions
22. Drug Interactions
23. Pregnant Women; Nursing Mothers
24. Infants and Children
26. Patients Prone to Hypoglycemia
28. The Elderly (Is There an Aspartame-Alzheimer Connection?)
29. Patients with Phenylketonuria (PKU) and PKU Carriers
30. Does Aspartame Pose an Imminent Public Health Hazard?
31. Public Health Issues
32. The Myth of “The Most Thoroughly Tested Additive in History”
33. Attitudes of Consumers and Patients
34. Consumer Advocates and Aspartame
35. Alternatives to Aspartame
Epilogue: The First —and Last — Word
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
HJ Roberts, MD, FACP, FCCP, is a board-certified internist in West Palm Beach, Florida, and an internationally respected medical consultant and researcher. He is on the Staff of Good Samaritan Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital, has been Director of the Palm Beach Institute for Medical Research since 1964, and a member of the Endocrine Society and the American Academy of Neurology. His publications include 12 acclaimed texts and more than 240 original articles and letters. He is a three-time Pulitzer Prize nominee.
Dr. Roberts is listed in Who's Who in America, Who's Who in Medicine and Health Care, Who's Who in the World, and Who's Who in Science and Technology. He has been knighted by the Order of St. George for his professional and humanitarian efforts.
He 328 pages
List Price: $24.95
List Price: $34.95